What costs does Walkabout Foundation cover?
You will cover the costs of your flights to and from Kenya, visa, travel vaccinations and transport to the departure airport.
Walkabout Foundation will cover each volunteer’s accommodation costs, transport in Kenya, food and drinks (non-alcoholic).
Do I need to purchase travel insurance?
Walkabout will be providing travel insurance for our volunteers. The travel insurance will cover you for the duration of your volunteer prorgramme however is is recommended to look at other options if the cover we are providing is not suitable for your needs. As part of our duty of care as a registered charity we will always provide travel insurance for the volunteers on our volunteer programme.
Where will we be staying?
We will stay at the Falcon Heights Hotel in Nanyuki, Kenya. This is close to our Wheelchair Assembly and Repair Centre.
This hotel is comfortable, clean and safe.
What will we be doing on the trip?
- We will arrive in Nairobi, then drive 4 to 5 hours north to the Walkabout Wheelchair Assembly and Repair Centre in Nanyuki.
- You will visit our Wheelchair Assembly and Repair Centre in Nanyuki, where you will meet our incredible Kenya team and receive training on how to provide World Health Organisation standard wheelchair service in preparation for the upcoming wheelchair distributions.
- We will travel to different locations in the region to deliver and distribute wheelchairs to people with mobility disabilities who are not able to travel to the Centre. You will help distribute and fit wheelchairs with the Kenya team.
Will I receive wheelchair fitting training?
Yes, our trained Kenya team will provide each volunteer with wheelchair fitting training.
Do I need to be vaccinated from Covid-19 to travel to Kenya?
Yes, to enter Kenya you need to provide proof of full vaccination. However, there two exemptions to full vaccination to enter:
- You have a proven medical exemption
- You have had Covid-19 in the past 90 days and proof of your recovery from a medical practitioner (recovery must be within 90 days whilst in Kenya)
For exemptions, you are required to conduct a PCR test no later than 72 hours before you travel to Kenya.
How will I be supported in my fundraising?
Throughout your fundraising journey, our expert and dedicated team of fundraisers will support you. First, through a briefing call about our work, and then by sharing detailed stories from the field, photos and videos. You will be able to use these materials to promote our fundraiser on social media, and when sending our personal asks to your contacts.
The fundraising team will guide you through key language and fundraising techniques to ensure you reach your target.
What’s more, we will set you up with your personal Walkabout Fundraising page on our website, so that 100% of every penny you raise will go 100% to the field. Thanks to this model, we will report back to you and your kind donors on the exact lives you have changed with your fundraising.
Do I need to be DBS checked?
Yes, you will be required to have a basic DBS check before you can volunteer with Walkabout Foundation.
I still have more questions, how do I get in touch with you?
Please email email@example.com with your query and our team will get back to you!