Media & Communications Associate
Walkabout’s mission is to restore dignity, freedom and independence by providing wheelchairs and rehabilitation in the developing world, and funding research to find a cure to paralysis. To date we have impacted the lives of an estimated 43,000 people by providing over 14,000 wheelchairs in 25 countries, and granting almost 1.6 mn USD towards ground breaking research into spinal cord injuries. We operate two rehabilitation centres, one in Kenya and one in India, and a Wheelchair Assembly Centre in Kenya.
As a full-time Media and Communications Associate you would be joining Walkabout Foundation’s growing London based team. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has the ambition and drive to help grow this organization and take it to the next level. You’ll be transforming the organization through the delivery of a new marketing and digital strategy, working with a small but extremely passionate team, in a lovely working environment.
Your responsibilities will include, among others:
- Develop a marketing and communications strategy for the organization to build supporters, boost donations and grow brand awareness
- Manage the implementation of all digital campaigns, including identifying target audiences and devising digital campaigns that engage, inform and motivate audiences to act
- Create and schedule content for all social media channels
- Oversee our website and update it continuously
- Oversee the design of any graphics for communication materials (annual report, brochures, leaflets, posters etc.)
- Create content for quarterly newsletters and all emails that go out
- Oversee all holiday campaigns and event communication materials
- General office management and organization including photocopying, printing, binding, scanning, taxis, couriers, errands, stationary, etc. Maintain the team calendar and book meeting rooms and dial in numbers, making sure everyone has invites and reminders and that any presentation materials are ready in advance
- Prepare thank you letters and emails to donors and any supporters and keep a record that these are always produced and sent promptly
- Assist the team with events planning and preparation of all event-related materials
1. A genuine interest in our cause
2. Great interpersonal and communication skills, with excellent oral and written English. Good knowledge of other languages would be an additional asset
3. An entrepreneurial spirit, and the ability to take the lead and proactively seek opportunities to develop our media presence, promote brand awareness and increase donations
4. The willingness and ability to work in a small team, and often under pressure to deliver in short deadlines
5. Graphic design skills (Adobe Suite & Microsoft Suite)
6. The right to live and work in the UK
You will be expected to perform all of the above in a timely manner, with discretion and extreme attention to detail. Walkabout is committed to investing in the development of all its members of staff and in creating a fun, creative and supported work environment. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a positive and proactive attitude, who has the ambition and drive to work alongside a number of different departments and help take an organization like Walkabout to the next level.